Emergency Maths Lessons
Here are some mathematics lesson plans to be used on the rare occasions when a class is left without their normal teacher and you are stepping in at a moment's notice.
- Starter: Estimating Percentages - Estimate the percentages of full circles and rectangles the sectors represent.
- Percentage Flash Cards Pupils can practise calculating simple percentages in their heads with this animated visual aid. There are many options you can choose so you can focus in on the types of percentages pupils are in need of help with.
- Percentages Exercise This is an online exercise with many levels. Choose the level that best suits the pupils. You can decide whether calculators are allowed and whether working should be written out neatly in exercise books.
- Fractions Decimals Percentages Presentation A slide presentation to remind everyone how to convert between fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Fractions Decimals Percentages This is the exercise to do after the presentation.
- Fraction Percentage Pairs Now have some fun with a collection of pairs games pupils can play in pairs. If pupils don't have access to internet connected technology play the games as a whole class with the game board projected on the whiteboard and the left 50% of the class playing against the right 50%.
- Finisher: Skunk - A game for the whole class to play involving chance and choice. A real opportunity to demonstrate a good sense of judgement and understanding of probability.
Skunk Game Board
It doesn’t happen very often but sometimes you find yourself in the position of having to deliver a lesson at a moment’s notice. In the worst case scenario you do not know what the class have previously been learning and you have been given no information about the nature of the pupils from their normal teacher.
These lesson plans have a low threshold, high ceiling so can be great learning opportunities for a wide range of pupils and class dynamics. No preparation is required as all of the activity details can be found by clicking on the links in the plans.
If pupils complete the activities online and earn trophies as a record of their progress teachers (who are Transum subscribers) can see from their class list which pupils have earned which trophies.
Furthermore if pupils do have access to internet connected computers see Laptops In Lessons for more lesson plans. If they have iPads there are some ideas on the iPad Maths page.
Show all Emergency Lesson Plans.
There is a printable page called Lectio Tumultuarios (Latin for Emergency Lesson) designed for Maths tutors (who are Transum subscribers) to have printed and stored in their folder ready to use on the odd occasion when a quick five minute time filler is required.